Teeth are essentially yellowish; the term ‘pearly whites’ is misleading in its true sense. However, studies say that the world’s most coveted beauty hack is the desire for “whiter teeth”. While teeth discolor due to various reasons, the most common would be poor oral hygiene, indulgence in stain-causing drinks like tea/coffee/colas, habits like smoking, and certain medications.
Dentistry offers many scientific, biocompatible, and user-friendly ways of whitening teeth. If you want something simpler and more natural, here’s how to get rid of yellow teeth at home.
How to Get Whiter Teeth at Home
Here are five easy teeth whitening home tips. However, it’s best to work closely with your dentist for the best ways to get rid of yellow teeth.
● Brush Your Teeth Twice Daily Brushing your teeth in the morning and before bed avoids stains and keeps your smile clean. Brushing regularly removes surface stains and inhibits plaque development, hence enhancing oral health. Consult your dentist for personalized recommendations on your oral care regimen.
● Chew on Whole Fibrous Foods Chewing on whole fibrous foods, including vegetables like cabbage, and lady’s finger, and fruits such as whole sweet lime, offers a natural and effective way to enhance the brightness of your smile. These crunchy and fibrous foods act as natural scrubbers, effectively cleaning the surface of your teeth. The act of chewing on these foods also stimulates saliva production, a vital component in maintaining oral health. Saliva not only helps in the mechanical cleaning process but also plays a key role in neutralizing acids in the mouth, contributing to a healthier oral environment.
While incorporating these fibrous foods into your diet can be beneficial for your dental health, it’s advisable to consult with your dentist before making significant dietary adjustments. This ensures that any changes align with your specific oral health needs and overall well-being. By combining the consumption of fibrous foods with professional dental guidance, you can contribute to a brighter and healthier smile.
● Add Fruits To Your Diet For stain-fighting abilities, include pineapples, papayas, and strawberries. These fruits contain enzymes or mild acids that help dissolve stains, encouraging whiter teeth. Confirm dietary modifications with your dentist for optimal oral health.
● Pineapples: Pineapples contain bromelain, an enzyme known for its ability to break down proteins. In the context of teeth whitening, bromelain helps remove surface stains by breaking them down, contributing to a cleaner and brighter appearance.
● Papayas: Papayas contain papain, an enzyme with similar protein-breaking properties. Papain aids in the breakdown of stains on tooth surfaces, supporting the natural process of teeth whitening.
● Strawberries: Strawberries, on the other hand, contain malic acid, which has gentle astringent properties. Malic acid can help remove surface stains and contribute to the overall whitening of teeth.
While these fruits offer natural teeth-whitening benefits, it’s crucial to consult with your dentist before making significant dietary modifications. Confirming with your oral health professional ensures that these adjustments align with your specific oral health needs and contribute positively to your overall dental well-being.