Oral hygiene isn’t just limited to daily flossing and brushing. It stretches beyond that, and your mouth communicates a lot about your overall health. Poor oral health can result in serious issues, including the following:
- Gum disease
- Loss of teeth
- Tooth decay
On top of that, it can indirectly or directly affect other body organs.
Generally, best oral hygiene practices, such as flossing and brushing, can help prevent bacteria. However, regular dental visits are vital to maintaining your oral health. Dentists in Lake Mary, Florida, recommend dental examinations and cleanings at least once after every six months. If you manage to do that, you’ll be able to maintain good oral health. Continue reading to find out more.
Top Reasons Oral Health is Important to Your Overall Well-Being
There is a strong connection between your oral hygiene and overall health. That means it’s crucial to understand the importance of excellent dental hygiene. Top reasons to maintain good dental health include the following:
1. Early Detection of Heart Health Issues: Multiple studies have associated poor dental hygiene with heart health problems like cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, dementia, and stroke. Most patients diagnosed with cardiovascular diseases are known to have gum issues. Bacteria in your mouth can easily transit via the bloodstream, leading to inflammation in the blood vessels, resulting in cardiovascular system problems. Poor dental hygiene can also lead to other health conditions, including the following:
- Bacterial pneumonia
- Infective endocarditis
- Low birth weight
2. Minimize Cancer Risk: Most studies suggest that individuals aged between 54 and 86 are more likely to develop cancer if they have a gum disease history. In women, gum disease boosts the risk of breast cancer. Both men and women with gum disease history can suffer from skin, lung, or gallbladder cancer.
3. Enhance Your Confidence: Good oral hygiene enables you to be confident in everything you do, from smiling and talking to eating healthy food. With regular cleaning and dentist visits, your teeth will remain healthy. You’ll no longer choose the food to eat and which side of the mouth to use. On top of that, you’ll never avoid having those bold smiles since you know that your overall dental health is excellent.
Tips on Maintaining Excellent Oral Hygiene
Dentists in Lake Mary, Florida, recommend some helpful tips on maintaining good oral health, which include the following:
- Eat healthy food.
- Floss and brush your teeth at least twice daily.
- Use high-quality mouthwash after flossing and brushing.
- Avoid sugary snacks and drinks.
- Always rinse your mouth with clean water after every meal.
- Always wear a mouthguard anytime you’re playing contact sports.
The last but most important tip is to schedule regular oral cleanings and check-ups after every six months. A qualified dentist can recommend more frequent dental visits based on your oral health condition. Always keep in touch with your dentist anytime you recognize signs and symptoms of dental issues.
To maintain excellent oral hygiene, dentists recommend following certain tips, such as eating a healthy diet, brushing and flossing regularly, using mouthwash, avoiding sugary snacks and drinks, rinsing your mouth after meals, and wearing a mouthguard during contact sports. Additionally, scheduling regular oral cleanings and check-ups every six months is crucial for maintaining optimal oral health.
In conclusion, taking care of your oral health is essential not only for a beautiful smile but also for your overall well-being. Practicing good oral hygiene and regularly visiting your dentist can prevent serious oral health issues and maintain a healthy and confident lifestyle.