There is no denying in the fact that these are uncertain times. The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has made massive disruptions in our life. With postponing of non-emergency dental treatment, it has become extremely significant for individuals to take utmost care when it comes to oral hygiene. However, toothache or other dental issues are bound to happen. In this regard, one can rely on dental home care by applying proven tips.
Dental pain is one of the most common symptoms of untreated oral problems, with negative consequences to the quality of life. Dental pain may be associated with multiple causes like ulcerations, tooth injuries, tooth eruption, sensitivity, but, most common is with decayed tooth/teeth. Toothache can range from mild irritation to severe or agonising pain. This pain may be constant or may come and go.
Below are certain very simple home remedies to temporarily cure your toothache until you visit your dentist.-
1) BRUSHING AND FLOSSING – Brushing and flossing helps remove the lodged food particles in between the teeth thereby reducing the pain.
2) GARGLES A) Saline water gargles –
B) Hydrogen peroxide gargles – with 1:1dilution.
C) Antiseptic mouthwash.
3) CLOVE OIL – Numbs the tooth. Soak a small pallet of cotton in the clove oil , dab it so as to remove the excess oil, and place in that particular tooth only . DO NOT TOUCH THE SURROUNDING TISSUES / GUMS ELSE IT WILL GET INFLAMED.
4) GARLIC – When crushed releases a chemical known as ALLICIN. It has a numbing effect too. But it should be fresh garlic either crush it and apply directly on the affected tooth or crush between your teeth and let it remain there for a couple of minutes. Although your mouth will have a bad odour. But definitely, worth trying.
5) VANILLA EXTRACT- from vanilla bean contains alcohol and antioxidants , the alcohol will have numbing effect and antioxidants have healing effect .This may heal the toothache for a prolonged time.
6) There are many herbs effective for such dental pain like papaya leaves, eucalyptus oil, guava leaves, thyme, coconut , bark of a mango tree, tobacco leaves .
7) TROPICAL ANESTHETICS- That are easily available at the counter can be applied to the affected tooth or gums but they give relief for very short duration.
8) ICE -In case of swelling apply ice packs from outer aspect. If only tooth pain , Apply ice on the particular tooth and gums for 7 -10 minutes, so that the tooth and the surrounding area is numbed.
9) PEPPERMINT OIL/ TEA BAGS – used and chilled peppermint tea bags will soothe your toothache.
10) ANTI-INFLAMMATORY MEDICATION- ACETAMINOPHEN OR IBUPROFEN( should not be allergic) also can give relief .
11) PRESSURE POINTS- Find a comfortable position, relax yourself by closing the eyes and breathe deeply. Massage the points till no pain
A) small intestine 18 pressure points ie. cheekbone crevice, draw a line directly from the outer corner of the eye down to the hollow of the cheekbone .
There are many such points present .Also called cheekbone cavity.