Disclosure:Ask the Dentist is supported by readers. If you use one of the links below and buy something, Ask the Dentist makes a little bit of money at no additional cost to you. I rigorously research, test, and use thousands of products every year, but recommend only a small fraction of these. I only promote products that I truly feel will be valuable to you in improving your oral health.
Your body is designed to naturally repair any damage, including in the mouth—as long as it has the proper nutrients to do so. That’s where supplements to heal cavities come in handy.
It’s possible to get proper nutrition through diet alone, but many people can use an extra boost with supplements.
What’s really causing your cavities in the first place?
What Really Causes Cavities
Cavities are not formed after just one sugary meal. A combination of factors—including the quality of your saliva, your diet, your mouth’s pH, and the status of your oral microbiome—can create a “perfect storm” for cavity formation.
Plaque forms when bacteria in your mouth combine with proteins in saliva and food particles, then adhere to your teeth. Those bacteria then feed on the sugar molecules in foods like processed carbs and leave acids on the teeth.
Left in the same area too long, these acid attacks begin to break down the calcium in the teeth’s enamel. Over time, this can cause holes in the tooth structure and tooth decay in the enamel and dentin layers of teeth.
In short, bacteria eat away at tooth structure and cause cavities.
There are several ways this process gets interrupted every day, though. For one, if your diet consists mostly of foods like vegetables, animal proteins, and mineral-rich dairy products (like hard cheeses), there’s much less chance of bacterial overgrowth that leads to cavities.
Tooth decay is also much less likely if you’re well-hydrated. Saliva is a buffer between your teeth and the bacteria left over from food. Dry mouth, caused by mouth breathing or certain conditions, can throw off your mouth’s natural remineralization process.
You also disrupt these acid attacks every time you brush your teeth. Flossing to remove food particles from in between teeth is another way you can avoid developing a new cavity.
While brushing and flossing are important aspects of any good dental hygiene routine, they aren’t the only—or most effective—ways to prevent or reverse tooth decay.
Let’s recap: Eating foods that cause bad bacteria overgrowth and, eventually, acid attacks on your teeth is one major cause of cavities. Dry mouth is another big one—in fact, I believe dry mouth is slightly more of a problem than poor diet.
You can disrupt this process by eating foods commonly found in a Paleo or keto diet about 80 percent of the time, with the other 20 percent reserved for “cheat” or “splurge” foods.
Mouth taping is one of the most effective ways to stop your nighttime mouth breathing and avoid dry mouth.
These steps can not only prevent cavities but help to reverse some cavities you already have.
But for many….